Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Magic School Bus

"Buckle up, we are going down!" cautioned Ms. Frizzle.

As I swallowed the PillCam it reminded me of my childhood and I imagined Ms. Frizzle with a bus load of kids going to explore my insides. After a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy the doctors didn't find anything major, but they were still concerned I was bleeding internally. So, they sent Ms. Frizzle down with a camera that took over 60,000 pictures of my digestive track. (They take the pictures and make it into a video.)

"We are now entering the stomach. Keep your eyes open for bleeding," Ms. Frizzle encouraged. All looked good, no bleeding. 

Ms Frizzle continued, "We are now entering the small intestine, which is over 24 feet long!!! Because of its incredible length and its many twist and turns, it is difficult to really see what is going on inside here." The camera clicked away at lightening speed.  The first part of my small intestine was normal, no issues. 

"Look left!  What are those? Does anyone know what a lymph node is?  Well what you are seeing are lymph nodes, but those don't look normal, no siree. They are huge!  Yikes! Look right, I am not sure what those are, but it looks like over 50% of the intestinal walls are ulcerated, this middle part of the small intestine doesn't look good."  

As Ms. Frizzle finished her journey through my intestinal track, she instructed her students on the rest of my small bowel and then my large bowel, finding nothing else unusual. 

Unfortunately, because of the ulcerations and  lymph nodes, I am having a double ballon assisted antegrade to get a biopsy and to get a closer look.  Stay tuned for the next edition of the Magic School Bus and see what they find in their next exploration. 




7 comments:

  1. Allyson, you make it sound scientific and fun, but it's kind of scary. I am definitely staying tuned, AND I'm tuning into the Lord in my prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so grateful for the Mayo clinic. It is truly a blessing that they can be the ones to care for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your attitude is encouraging to us all. I'd keep you in my prayers. - Patrick Zhao

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully Ms. Frizzle finds nothing exciting to report on her next trip. That must have been crazy to see your insides like that! Thanks for sharing so those who love you from afar (and we are many, I can assure you) can follow along and keep prayers coming, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms Frizzle, Isn't there a special cure on that magic school bus, to help our family member and friend, Allyson?!? Ms. Frizzle reminded me that we have to rely on the Lord, so I'll continue praying for you and your family!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms Frizzle, Isn't there a special cure on that magic school bus, to help our family member and friend, Allyson?!? Ms. Frizzle reminded me that we have to rely on the Lord, so I'll continue praying for you and your family!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete